Thursday, October 07, 2010

One awesome thing about living in Boston is that everywhere else in New England is just a short drive away.  In other words, this is a nice way to say that I'm still adjusting to this place.  On the other hand, I could definitely get used to weekend drives up to Vermont.  Over the summer, Mr. Eggplant Duck and I made the short trek up to visit a friend in Montpelier.  Montpelier is a the quaint capital city of Vermont.  It's completely bordered by woods, and I'm pretty sure there are forests within the city itself.
Our native Vermont friends introduced us to the art of 'shrooming.  That's right, we went mushroom picking behind their house.  This wasn't your ordinary mushroom picking, this was Chanterelle picking.  These little orange mushrooms are the same ones that we find in Whole Foods for $30/pound!  Mushroom picking might be a misnomer..perhaps a better way to describe it is "gold picking."
We cooked the mushrooms in some sage butter and ate them with fresh ravioli from the farmer's market.  I could get used to this.  Luckily for our checkbook, I don't shop at Whole Foods.

2 comments:

Chocoluv said...

oh my gosh, that sounds so awesome!!! I want to go!!

BTW are you cheating on Mr. Duck with Mr. Eggplant?

Anonymous said...

I bought a chanterelle once at a frou-frou grocery store in La Jolla. Mushrooms are remarkably light and thus $19.99 a pound isn't as bad as it sounds. Chanterelle's aren't all that tasty though.
Michele